Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Shrimp Creole Bowls!

Before I got married my fiancé and I lived in Houston, TX and I worked at the local Kroger as a cashier. There was a chef that worked in our store from New Oreleans, LA and he cooked the most amazing Cajun food I've ever tasted. But I noticed that it wasn't spicy, so I asked him, "Chef, how come your food isn't spicy? I thought all Cajun food was spicy." and he told me, "Cajun food doesn't have to be spicy it just has to be flavorful. People confuse it with spice and it doesn't have to be. You have to cook it from the soul and that's what makes it good." Well his food was better than good and it's probably one of the things I miss most about Houston. So as an homage to Chef Irvin I give you shrimp creole!

You'll need:

1 cup button mushrooms
1/4 cup olive oil
1 cup celery, diced
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup bbq sauce
1 15 oz can diced tomatoes, with juice
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper *
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup yellow onions
1 lbs large shrimp, deveined and peeled
Rice

Combine all ingredients in a ziplock bag. Seal it tightly and gently mix all the ingredients together. I usually put in everything except the shrimp and mushrooms and mix it well and then add them and carefully mix. This allows you to not mash up your shrimp or mushrooms. After you're done mixing put it in the fridge and leave it until dinner time. I also advise that you put this together the night before and allow it to marinate over night or in the morning and let it sit until dinner. This will really allow the flavors to marry and enhance the flavors tremendously.

Cook and prepare your rice as recommended on the bag or box. This recipe should feed 3-4 people and maybe even a little leftover. The cayenne pepper is optional. As you all know the hubby and I are spice wimps and opt to leave it out. But feel free to put more in or less.

When you're ready for dinner, spray a large skillet with nonstick spray and heat it up on medium high heat until it's hot. Add the shrimp and marinade mixture to the skillet and cook it until the shrimp turn pink, about 5-7 minutes. Serve it immediately over rice and enjoy!





Happy Eating! 

1 comment:

  1. I am so gonna have to show Chef Irvin this. Aww I am sure this will brighten his day!!

    ReplyDelete