Thursday, November 11, 2010

Gingerbread Mini Bundts with Lemon Sauce!

The holidays are almost here! With snow in the forecast next Friday, I'm chomping at the bit to put up my Christmas decorations! The hubby, however, has some stupid rule about waiting until the day after Thanksgiving. Now, as someone who's had a white Christmas and more snow than they care to deal with, I think it might be hard for him to get excited about decorating, so I don't think much of that rule. But one thing I do think a lot of are my mom's holiday treats. Oh man, if there was one thing my mom did best it was the holidays. I have memories of there being an abundance of popcorn balls, cookies, cakes and most of all this delicious lemon sauce she made to put over hot gingerbread. I'm sharing this with you because hopefully it will create fond memories for you and yours.

So here's what you'll need:

1 box Betty Crocker gingerbread mix
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tbsp cornstarch
1 cup water
1 Tbsp butter
1 Tbsp grated lemon peel
1-2 Tbsp lemon juice with seeds removed




Ok ok ok, I'll admit, I'm cheating. I'm using a mix for the gingerbread but I am not a great baker so, sorry to disappoint but a mix it is. And because we're using a mix be sure you have all the things you need on the back of the box for the mix. I used Betty Crocker and that called for 1 1/4 cups of water and one egg.

You'll need to mix your gingerbread ingredients in a bowl and pour them into a cupcake pan. We got a mini bundt pan for a wedding gift so I'm using that. It makes them really cute but if you want one you can sure get one at Target for a little over 10 dollars. Very cute and very worth it. After they are done let them cool off in the pan while you make your lemon sauce. This is very important that you follow every step correctly or you will end up with burned glue in the bottom of your sauce pan. Ready?

In a one quart pan over medium heat stir your sugar and cornstarch and gradually add your water stirring constantly. Continue stirring until the mixture thickens and boils, boil and stir it for about 1 minute. Finally, remove it from heat and immediately add the butter, lemon juice and lemon peel keep stirring until it's all incorporated and smooth. Serve it warm or cool, either way it's still delicious.



















Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment