Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Chicken with Broccoli and Cheese, Please!

Today I woke up with the headache I had from last night but luckily the hubster had to be at work early and didn't let me get up to make him breakfast. So, I got to sleep in (yes!) and as a thank you to him for being so sweet I decided to make him a favorite dish of his for dinner. It takes a little more effort than we're used to but bear with me and stick to it because it's all worth it in the end.

You'll need:

2 Tbsp butter
1 medium onion, peeled and diced
3 cups diced, cooked chicken
1 16 oz bag frozen broccoli, thawed
1 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 10.5 oz can cream of chicken soup
1 cup sour cream
3 cups long-grain white rice, prepared according to the package
2 cups cheddar cheese, sharp or mild, divided
2 tsp salt


As usual I prepare the boneless skinless chicken breasts with salt, pepper and olive oil (keep the oven set to 350 after the chicken is done.) While it's cooking, prepare the rice accordingly and dice your water chestnuts. Transfer both the chicken and chestnuts to a large mixing bowl and set aside. Sautee the onions in the 2 Tbsp butter and add them to the bowl along with the broccoli, sour cream, cream of chicken soup, rice and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese and mix well. 


In a 13x9 dish spread the mixture in evenly and top with the remaining 1 cup of cheddar. Bake it for 25-30 minutes or until the casserole is nice and bubbly and the cheese is melted. This is one of my favorite dishes and I hope it'll be one of yours too! As always...







Happy Eating!







No comments:

Post a Comment