Monday, October 18, 2010

Mama's Beef Stew!

When I was 18 I lived in the big ol' city of Midland, TX but my fun and fancy free lifestyle sometimes took a toll on my pocketbook. Thus, leaving me no choice in the food department. It was either ramen noodles or very cheap take out from the Chinese take out place down the road. Then I remembered I had a secret weapon my Mama's beef stew. I remember sitting there and watching her throw it together and do almost nothing to get it together. So, I started making it for myself and my best friend Christina and it would feed us for a few days. I do have to warn you, there is no actual written down recipe so I'll give this my best shot. I've only ever shared the recipe with her and my husband so you should feel special. No,  really, you should. ;)
You'll need:
3 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 tsp garlic
1 large whole yellow or white onion. 
3 lbs lean stew meat
1 lb baby carrots
4-5 large to medium russet potatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 28 oz can stewed tomatoes
2 stalks of celery sliced or diced (your choice)
2-3 ears of corn broken in half (frozen will work)
1 10 oz can of Campbells beef broth
8 cups of water

In a large stew pot heat the oil and add the stew meat to the hot oil along with the garlic, salt and pepper and after it's all browned up and ready to go add 6 cups of water, the beef broth, onion, celery, tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes. Let it boil on high heat for 45 mintues. After it's got a good rolling boil going add the corn and let it simmer for an hour. 

After the hour is up drop in the carrots and in the meantime, peel and dice your potatoes according to your preference just don't drop them in whole. Also, a good alternative for the russet potatoes are the small red potatoes, you don't have to cut them up just drop them in. After they are all peeled and diced drop them in and let them boil for 20-30 minutes until the potatoes are done. 

This is not a very thick stew, in fact, it's almost like what Rachel Ray calls a stoup, the broth is almost soup like. If you'd like to thicken it up you can add a little corn starch or flour to get the broth a little thicker. Just a little tablespoon (or less) of either or else you will end up with a gluey, stewy mess. 



A great way to enhance the stew is to add cornbread or sop it up with a biscuit!



Happy Eating!


No comments:

Post a Comment