Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Quick Cold Day Chili!

Today, South Bend, IN got it's first full snow day! I had snow from the time I woke up to the time I started making this delicious post. Lucky for me, our little kitty Kaci is feeling better and I was able to write this and cook dinner. Now, just as a heads up because of the holidays and an impending Christmas cruise, posting will be sparse again. But I'll do my best to help you all get ready for the holiday festivities. Today we have quick and easy chili that will keep you warm even if your temperatures are low which they were because the high today was 23!

So you'll need--

1 lb ground beef, browned
2 14 oz cans dark red kidney beans
1 28 oz can stewed sliced tomatoes
1 1/2 cup onions, diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 package McCormick Chili seasoning.
1 1/2 cup water
Salt
Pepper

Now, I'm not claiming to be a chili master, heck, I probably won't be winning any chili cook-off's anytime soon. But I do know that there is no shame in using a remixed seasoning, especially if you're in a hurry. However, if you can make your own blend of seasonings then by all means, go ahead. Until I get to that point I'll just leave the mixing and blending to the pro's.






So in a large pot combine the browned beef, beans, tomatoes, onions, garlic, seasoning and water and set on a medium- high for 15 minutes. Stirring ever so often to make sure nothing is getting stuck to the bottom. After your 15 mintues are up, set it to a low- medium and let it simmer for 30-45 minutes. This may cause the beans to split and will thicken up your chili considerably. But I'm not going to force you to have the chili my way so if you like your chili on the thinner side then you can add the beans in the last 10-15 mintues of the cooking process.





Happy Eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment